Thatcham Parish Hall – Berkshire
The idea of a village hall was instigated in 1903 by Miss A.L Henry, third daughter of John Henry of Colthrop Mill, and plans were made to erect a venue to accommodate 200 people at concerts and other entertainments. Within a few years some £350 had been raised. The Parish Hall was built by Mr. W. Child of Thatcham and was opened on 10th April 1907 by Mrs Benyon, wife of the Lord Lieutenant of Berkshire. The Parish Hall was built in 1907 for the people of Thatcham and has been in regular use ever since by many groups for meetings, entertainment, parties and sports.
In 2019, the Parish Hall faced the prospect of closure as long standing Trustees needed to retire and new Trustees proved difficult to find. Financial pressures also increased with the loss of the local pre-school who were a regular hirer of the hall. The CCB’S Community Buildings Advisor was called in to support the Trustees. Suggestions were made about developing an online presence and promoting the hall using banners overlooking the local supermarket Car park. The Parish Hall held an open public meeting to discuss the option to close the charity and sell the building. This revived local interest in the precious community asset and local people came forward to help support the promotion and running of the Hall. The Parish Hall still serves the community today!
HIRE RATES FOR CASUAL HIRE (discounts available for regular hires)
Library (including Kitchen) £8.00 p/hr
Hall (including Kitchen) £15.00 p/hr
All Rooms £20.00 p/hr
Tel; 07342 274526
Facebook; Friends of Thatcham Parish Hall